I believe that every human being who is God’s creation must be treated with respect and dignity. I believe that every person can make a difference in this world. I believe that if God blessed you in any way, then you have the obligation to share your blessings with others. These believes push me every day to do more for myself and to do even more for others. This is where my passion to work with persons with disabilities emanates.
My life’s journey from very humble beginnings has taught me that every situation can change. Every effort is rewarded. Everyone must believe in their dreams and work very hard to achieve them. My dream for this foundation is to see persons with disability enjoy good livelihood, have access to: health care; education; access to assistive devices; employment opportunities and access to financial support for self-employment. We will work very closely with all stakeholders to achieve the Vision and Mission of this foundation.
I believe that every individual has the capacity of doing wonders if given support. But persons with disability have the unique quality of unbeatable confidence and strong determination of achieving their goals, this I have witnessed many times over the past 30 years of working with persons with disabilities in Tanzania. The focus is not on the disability but the ABILITY. I dedicate this foundation to the persons with disabilities in Tanzania.
I CAN, I MUST, I WILL
2. The Order of the Arusha Declaration of the First Class in 1995.By His Excellency Ali Hassan Mwinyi, The President of the United Republic of Tanzania.
3. The Business for Peace Award 2012.Award in Oslo by the Award Giving Committee of Noble Laureates of the Business for the Peace Foundation.
4. Global leadership and Humanitarian Award and the 1st United Nation NGO Lifetime Achievement Award 2010Award by the Global 2000(2010) International, a registered member of the World Association of Non- Government Organisations, member NGO of the United Nation Department of Public Information and registered NGO in consultative status with UNESCO of the United Nations.
5. The 2008 Martin Luther King Drum Major for JusticeAward by the United States of America.
6. The East Africa Environmental Network (EAEN) Leadership Award.
7. The International Order of the Lions Award.By the International Association of the Lions Club.
8. Life Achievement in Philanthropy Award.By the East Africa Association of the Grant makers (EAAG) in 2013.
9. East Africa ‘s Most Respected CEO 2nd position 2001, 2002 and 2003 .Awarded by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
10. Certificate given to Dr. Mengi 2017.By the Chartered Institute of Taxation for England and Wales marking 50 years of membership.
11. Appreciation of Dr. Mengi’s services as Chairman of the National Board of Accountants and Auditors of Tanzania (NBAA) Governing Board 1984- 2000
12. The Environmental Conservation Award Grade One 2012.By His Excellency Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, the President of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania.
13. Award of The Most Inspiring Enterprenuer ‘ 2015 .By the Dar es salaam University Marketing Association (DUMA).
14. Letter of Appreciation from the National Economic Empowerment Council (NEEC) 2015. Under the Prime Minister’s Office.
15. I Can Honorary AwardBy Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan, Vice President of United Republic of Tanzania
On the 2nd July, 2018 Dr Mengi’s book ‘I CAN, I MUST, I WILL: The Spirit of Success’ was launched in Dar es Salaam at a ceremony graced by his Excellency Dr John Pombe Magufuli, the President of the United Republic of Tanzania.